Consume. Absorb. Transform.

Our perceptions are in a constant state of flux, which are then processed and interpreted from the moment we, as individuals, consume information. It is from this endless flux of personal observation that I [de]construct experiences onto paper. My work is an introspective process of analyzing and interpreting the constant bombardment of everyday life, from moments of interaction with people, places, and things I read. These moments transform how I understand identity and my social construction of reality. The Abstract Expressionist philosophy of trying to find individual truth has greatly influenced me. Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns explored how they see themselves in their environment and it was their ideas that have shaped how I deal with everyday experiences.

I work mostly on various types of paper, ranging from Rives BFK to handmade paper. Mixing pen, ink, marker, acrylic, gouache, and watercolor allows for a multiplicity of results. I use a resist to leave bits of the original paper untouched, to suggest there is a place of rest away from disorder. Then, I cover the background by exploiting the fluidity of ink and watercolor by relying on its inherent characteristics to bleed and mix freely. After drying, I draw tiny, repetitive circles with Rapidograph pens to a nearly obsessive level to express some control in a hectic world, as if my thoughts were emerging and starting to form. The second body of work shows that emerging growth coming from an absolute, which is represented by the naked paper. That absolute, or noumenal world of essences, comes from the theoretical exploration of transformation, in that it represents a way for me to clear away the daily constructs and concentrate on the transformation coming from those specific moments in my past and present. This recursive thinking has populated my visual repertoire with new imagery and imagery from previous works and sketches.